Did you know that Spring is the perfect time to get a tattoo in Hawaii?
Well, the majority of the year works well because we always have phenomenal weather but the Spring is great because it’s just a bit cooler and the times where the heat & humidity are higher aren’t fun at all to deal with a healing tattoo.
Here a few tattoo aftercare tips to aid in the recovery of your skin and for your tattoo to look awesome for a lifetime!
- Listen to your artist’s advice. They do this for a living and have practices that they have found to work.
- Never re-bandage a tattoo. Remove the bandage after an hour to protect the skin in the beginning and to start the recovery process.
- Wash your new tattoo at least twice a day. You can take as many showers as you like during the day but it is important that you clean your skin where the tattoo is so that proper healing can take place.
- Apply a light layer of moisturizer so that your skin can breathe after you wash the new ink and throughout the day should it start to dry out.
- Avoid swimming in the ocean or a pool right after getting a tattoo. Bodies of water have a plethora of fun little micro-organisms that would love to make your open flesh their home. You don’t want them living and making their mess on you!
- Don’t stay in direct sunlight for long, or in general, if possible. If you’re job or life prevents you from avoid the sun, wear losing, comfortable clothing that will allow you to move freely and not chafe the sensitive, healing skin.
- Once the tattoo is healed and you resume your activity in the, wear sunscreen. The sun will damage your skin period and it can wreak havoc on a tattoo.
- If you notice any irregularities, contact your tattoo artist. They can let you know if something isn’t right. If swelling persists for longer than a few days, consider seeing a doctor as you might have a reaction that is better to get checked out than not.
- Think positive thoughts while your skin recovers. The tattoo should be a powerful, awesome memory that you live with for life so the more positivity you express, the better all will be.
- And take care. You live in this body once so enjoy this motherfucker!
If you are in the market for a new tattoo this spring, come visit our tattoo shop in Waikiki! We have won multiple awards over the year as one of Hawaii’s best tattoo studios and we work hard to continue our proud tradition.
434 Tattoo is open 7 days a week, from 10a -10p and we’re happy to be of service for any and all of your inking needs. Owned and operated by Tattoo Adam Siehr (Horiyume), we pride ourselves in great work and making you feel great! So let’s make greatness whenever you are ready!
Custom Tattooing LLC.
434 Ena Road